Everyone knows that lemons are packed with vitamin C. It’s exactly for this reason why these tangy fruits are excellent immune system boosters as well as age-defying agents. Lemons also contain calcium and magnesium, both minerals necessary for bone health and strength. Luckily, incorporating lemons into your diet is not that challenging as they may be added to dishes, salads, tarts, cakes, smoothies and even cocktails.
Aside from consuming them, lemons may also be used topically in order to boost your physical appearance. From drying up blemishes to making your mane shine, these citrus fruits offer quick, inexpensive and all-natural beauty fixes.
- Rubbing a slice of lemon on areas with pimples and acne helps in drying up those problem spots in no time. Vitamin C in lemon juice has antimicrobial and healing properties, allowing your cosmetic woe to improve dramatically. Allowing lemon juice to stay on your skin for 5 to 10 minutes before rinsing off with cold water lets those antioxidants do their task.
- Daubing lemon juice on blemishes left by pimples or acne allows those imperfections to lighten and become less visible. What makes lemon juice provide this lightening effect is the citric acid it contains which has a mild bleaching property.
- Lemon juice helps get rid of excess oils on your skin. Simply apply it on your face with a cotton ball before bedtime. Allow it to stay there overnight so that it may do its oil-reducing task. In the morning, wash off the dried juice with cold water.
- Rub and massage freshly-squeezed lemon juice onto your lips to get rid of dead skin cells that make them look dull.
- Adding a few drops of lemon juice to baking soda is a quick and inexpensive teeth whitening solution. Use a cotton swab to apply the mixture onto your teeth. Allow it to stay there for a minute so that those stubborn stains may get dissolved.
- Apply a mixture of olive oil and some lemon juice on weak or brittle nails to strengthen them. This is also an all-natural and effective way to get rid of yellowing nails, thanks to the mild bleaching property of citric acid in lemon juice.
- Massaging a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, honey and coconut oil onto your scalp helps deal with dryness and dandruff.
- Get rid of dirt, grime and oil with a chemical-free skin cleanser. All you have to do is combine unsweetened yogurt and lemon juice. You may also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil like lavender, jasmine or chamomile.
- You don’t have to step foot inside the salon and pay premium just to enjoy some glorious highlights. Grab your favorite hair conditioner and add a few drops of lemon to it. Using your fingers, apply the mixture on your hair and sit under the sweltering sun for a few minutes before rinsing. Repeat these steps at least once a week to enjoy head-turning highlights.